Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rolled Sugar Cookies

These are my famous rolled sugar cookies.  They are the easiest rolled cookies I've ever made and the most delicious.  I probably make a batch of these at least every other month.  

You'll need (for 5 dozen small-medium cookies):

  • cookie cutters
  • 1 1/2 cups butter
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 5 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking power
  • pinch salt
The steps:

  • Cream together butter & sugar until smooth.
  • Beat in eggs and vanilla.
  • Add dry ingredients.
  • Cover dough and chill for at least an hour (I'm making the dough now to bake on Saturday or Sunday).  I like to refrigerate my rolling pin too.
  • When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 400degrees.
  • Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and kneed just a few times.
  • Roll out using a rolling pin to about 1/4inch thickness.  
  • Cut into desired shapes and transfer to a greased cookie sheet
  • Bake 6-8 minutes and remove from sheet quickly.
Serve these frosted or glazed or just with sprinkles (which you can add prior to baking if you want.  Just brush cookies with egg whites first).  This dough is also good for making a fruit pizza (dough crust, sweet cream cheese, and fruit = yum!).

A picture will come shortly, after Halloween when I've decorated these.  The theme for my Halloween party is everything you loved about a kids' Halloween party + booze.  So, a bunch of adults decorating their own cookies, playing games, and so on greatly enlivened with hard cider and microbrews.  So, I will be using my Halloween cookie cutters (thanks to my sister for those), to make these sugar cookies then prepare several different frostings and have those and sprinkles available for decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment