Saturday, June 9, 2012

grilled candy striped beets

I got these delicious heirloom candy striped beets in my CSA this year.  A friend of mine who gets the same CSA suggested grilling them.  I don't have a grill but did this in my oven and using my cast iron skillet. Beets are a borderline vegetable for both my boyfriend and me.  These ended up sweet, earthy, and yummy.  I would recommend trying these if you don't think you like them.



For 2 large servings, you'll need:

  • 3-4 small-medium beets
  • 1/3C balsamic vinegar
  • 1t rosemary
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed & chopped
  • 1/2t herbes de provence
The steps:
  • Wash and peel beets.  Cut into discs, about a 1/4 inch thick.
  • Combine marinade ingredients and add beet slices
  • Marinate at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even coverage
  • When you're ready to cook, preheat your oven to 425*
  • Place beets in a 9x13 baking pan.  Spread out so only one layer
  • Cover the pan in foil and bake
  • Bake for 15-20min, or until fork tender
  • During the last few minutes of baking, preheat your cast iron skillet (one like this)
  • Remove beets from the oven and cook them 2-4 minutes on each side in your skillet over med-high heat
  • Serve with rice or other roasted veggies or tempeh (like this)
*If you would like to grill these, rather than cooking them in the oven, you can wrap the beets in foil and cook on the grill 15-20 min, until fork tender.  Then, remove from the foil and grill for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment