Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Jalapeño Peach Salsa

Well, I'm back stateside. I ate some amazing food in Turkey and Cyprus and would return again just for the cheese and ice cream (clearly, I didn't eat vegan while traveling). After a few days rest and a conference in Virginia, I'm back in the swing of things. So, for my first recipe since returning, let's go for a nice summer salsa. We pulled in a big haul today from our CSA: jalapeño peppers, green bell peppers, fennel, peaches, yellow plums, red cylindra beets, red tomatoes and mixed cherry tomatoes. We got garlic and onions last week that are still good. This seemed like a great time to make salsa. The resulting salsa is spicy, fresh, and slightly sweet. Here goes:


For about 1.5 qts (or a full food processor) of salsa, you'll need:

  • 1 medium red onion
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 3 jalapeños
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 3 large tomatoes, roughly baseball sized
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro
  • 1 medium peach, baseball sized, again
  • 1/2-1 t cumin
  • 1/2-1 t oregano
  • salt & pepper to taste
The steps
  1. Prep your produce. Remove stems and seeds (if desired) from peppers. Peel onion and garlic. Slice tops of tomatoes. Pit your peach.
  2. Place peppers, onion, and garlic in food processor with the blade attachment and pulse briefly until chopped.
  3. Add tomatoes, cilantro, peach, and spices and process again until chopped.
  4. Taste and season accordingly.






1 comment:

  1. I must make this when Dad is in town! I'll pick up my Palisade Peaches at the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete