Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette

My lunch (delicious!)

I always like to make my own salad dressings because they're healthier, yummier, and less expensive.  In looking to make a raspberry vinaigrette dressing, all the recipes called for raspberry vinegar, but I wanted to use the fresh raspberries I'd just gotten 2 days ago in my CSA share.  So, I improvised this one.  Here's what I figured out.

What you'll need for about 3-4 meal-sized servings (if you're like me and go light on the dressing):
  • one box fresh raspberries
  • 2ish tablespoons olive oil
  • heaping spoonful sugar
  • a few tablespoons red wine vinegar (about a 2:1 ratio vinegar:oil)
  • 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • small clipping of fresh Italian parsley, chopped or pulled apart (like the top 1 1/2 inches of a branch).  If you don't have fresh, use maybe a teaspoon or so of dried.  Maybe more.  Taste and figure it out.
  • salt to taste
  • lemon juice (I didn't add any because I don't have any, but I think it'd be delicious!)
The steps:
  • Mash the raspberries as best you can in a bowl using a spoon or a fork.  If you have a food processor or blender (of which, I have neither), use that.  Then you can strain this mixture through a mesh screen to get rid of the seeds.
  • Add sugar, oil, vinegar, and mustard.  Do all of these gradually, especially the mustard, as it's easy to over do.  You may want more mustard because you like a stronger Dijon flavor.  I like it mild, so I didn't use too much.  Ending consistency should be a thick sauce, kinda resembling French dressing.
  • Season with parsley, salt, and lemon juice until delicious.

I served this over just a simple green salad with chopped apples and Parmesan cheese.  Would be great with some cottage cheese (but mine had little green colonies in it!).  Grilled chicken on the salad would make a complete, filling meal!


Exciting purchase of the day: mini herb garden.
I went to the farmers' market this morning to pick up a few things, especially on the hunt for some fresh herbs.  I found a little pot that had in it parsley, cilantro, and basil.  Just perfect!!  It has a place of pride in my kitchen now.  Hopefully, I can foster these plants enough so that they'll outgrow that pot and I'll need three pots.  Save so much money!

No comments:

Post a Comment