Saturday, July 31, 2010

Green Beans & Corn, a summer dish

while still cooking

This is a good way to utilize the best things of this part of summer: green beans, sweet corn, onions, tomatoes.  Very simple, easy to make for groups, freezable, delicious.

You'll need (for side dishes for 4-6 people):
  • 1 pound green beans (I used a mixture of green and yellow beans because that's what was in my share)
  • half a yellow onion or a few green onions.  Green onions are best (using the whole onion), but I didn't have any
  • sweet corn: you can use one can of corn, a couple ears (boiled briefly then stripped), or one package of frozen (thawed in the microwave or stovetop)
  • a tomato or two
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1-2 teaspoons of paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional, especially since I never remember to buy it)
  • salt to taste
The steps:
  • Wash & cut your green beans into nice bite size pieces, I'd say inch segments is good.  Be sure to snap off the stem ends.  I don't care about the little tail ends, but some people don't like those, so feel free to chop off.
  • Chop onion(s) and tomato(es)
  • Melt butter and add veggies and some salt & paprika in a deep skillet on high heat.  Skillet here is easier than a pot 
  • Cook on high heat, constantly stirring until corn is soft and beans are just cooked (there's little I hate more than overcooked veggies, especially green beans)
  • Season as desired.  I like a lot of paprika
  • Serve warm or cold.
I put some of this in the fridge to eat for the coming week and froze the rest in baggies so that I can enjoy these summer delicacies in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment